Fort Kluže: In the second half of the 15th century a wooden fortification was built above the deep gorge of the Koritnica River. Its purpose was to prevent pillaging raids by the Turks to Carinthia. Georg Phillipp von Gera, ruler of Bovec from 1613 to 1643, built a stone fortress in 1613. He also discovered a spring nearby, which enabled the fortress to survive lengthy sieges. He had a delicately crafted stone plaque bearing his coat of arms and the year of construction built into a wall by the fortress. In 1797 the Austrian contingent of soldiers defended the fortress against the advancing French army, which, under the command of General Napoleon Bonaparte, defeated the Austrians in northern Italy.
The defenders stood little chance against the overpowering adversary, so they resorted to trickery. At night they removed the bridge over the Koritnica River and many French soldiers tumbled into the depths in the darkness. The following day the defenders had to surrender and the assailants in their rage demolished the fortress.
The present-day appearance of the fortress dates back to 1882. The central part of the fortress has the shape of a square with high and narrow peepholes in the walls. The complex of the fortress also includes the “upper” fortress called Fort Hermann, erected on a rocky ridge. The path leading to it is hewn into the rock along its initial stretch and then runs through a tunnel. (Source: from www.smaragdna-pot.com)